Wednesday, November 17, 2004

ceo for the kids

I purchased an English language newspaper today which I'd not read before. It's called the Budapest Times, and in it, I found the following tidbit which those interested in Hungary's economy may find interesting. "New minimum wage will be raised to 57,000 Hungarian Forints/month beginning January 1, 2005." (This is 233.60 EUROS/month, and is a 9.3% increase.) However, after taxes, 28% approximately for minimum wage earners, the "take-home" pay is quite minimal. In the same newspaper, I saw flats (apartments) being advertised for 1000 EUROS/ month for 2 bedrooms in a high-end section of Budapest. I'm continually struck by the disparity; there are the rich and the poor, basically, and with food prices equivalent to (or sometimes higher) than those in the U.S., and clothing costing MORE here than it does in the U.S., I am continually amazed by these people who continue to survive against great economic odds. It's no wonder that in each household, both parents work at least one job each to make ends meet.


ceo for the kids

No comments: