Monday, September 27, 2004

Funny things I get to teach

Teaching English as a second language has its funny moments. Sometimes they come when teaching words which are different in American English than they are in British English. One such word is "eraser"...you know, those little things at the end of a pencil which one uses to erase pencil-marks? In British English, this is a "rubber"....well, a "rubber" in American English has a very different meaning. So, when I explain this to my students, the snickers begin, and I "warn" them not to go to the U.S. and ask their classmate for a "rubber". The other typical "mistake" Hungarian students make is saying: "I feel myself well", instead of "I feel well." It's always great fun to "demonstrate" "feeling oneself." :-)


ceo for the kids

No comments: