Friday, September 24, 2004

ceo for the kids

ceo for the kids

I'm continually struck by how easy my life is compared to the kids I work with at the children's home. As I sat talking with M. yesterday, asking her about when she planned to move out of the home and find a place of her own, the reality that this is not even an option at this point for her struck the familiar chord that rings every day for them. What we often "take for granted", getting a job, renting a place to live, going to school to get a higher education, are almost "out of reach" goals for many of these kids. They simply don't have the means to be able to think about such goals; survival is their mode of operating quite often. And even that is a learned skill for them. Yet tears welled up in my eyes as S. came and sat down next to me, 7 months pregnant, and asked me if I wanted one of her sandwiches. They've learned how to love in ways many of us can only imagine.

No comments: