Thursday, April 25, 2013

Clogged?

We have a drain in our driveway that collects the water from rainfall as well as from the sump pump and sends it through a long underground pipe into the backyard.  For the past couple of weeks, we've noticed that it's overflowing, causing flooding in our driveway and flowing into our neighbor's driveway, littering it with dirt and wood chips.  

I kept thinking, "Oh great, we're gonna have to call someone and have them do a major job of fixing this drain."

This morning, as I was sitting on the front porch and hearing the gurgling, watching the water pour out and over to our neighbor's driveway, I thought I would lift the grate and see if I could figure out the problem.  When I lifted the grate, I was greeted by a huge pile of leaves, dirt and worms!  It was a simple fix:  clean out the blockage.  The second I pulled out the junk, the water flowed normally.

No more mess...no more blockage....removing the junk....what a life lesson.  What junk do we have in our hearts that is creating a blockage, which creates a mess in our lives and in the lives of those around us.  As I looked at the junk, I thought, this would make great compost for our garden as the worms squirmed around in the leaves and dirt.  So, I tossed it in the garden, realizing that that which caused problems can be turned around to bring life.  

No comments: