Monday, January 02, 2012

It's a new year!

I purposely chose GREEN for my font for this entry (sorry if it is not green on your screen) to symbolize NEW LIFE for the NEW YEAR!

It's 2012, and as Paul and I sat yesterday and contemplated our goals for the corporate Daniel Fast that our church family is in Day 2 of right now, I was struck afresh by how much I need God and how much I lean on my "crutches".

Some of my crutches are obvious: coffee with cream, a slab of meat of any sort.

Some are less obvious: distractions of games on my new iphone, time spent on my computer.

Yesterday was a bugger of a day weaning myself off caffeine. This morning is a bit better, but it's funny because I'm not craving the coffee so much, but rather a warm drink to warm up my insides. Gonna have to figure out a warm drink I can enjoy during the Daniel fast.

Why fast? There are books written on this topic and I certainly won't do it justice here, but as many in this neck of the woods state: "Don't fast until you can't stand not to fast."

We all want breakthrough in our lives - you name the area, someone wants breakthrough there. However, do we want more of God just for the sake of having a deeper relationship with Him and not for anything He can give us? For us, this fast is a both/and. First, depth with God, realizing His tremendous love for us, commitment to us, desire for us to enter in to His presence, AND cry out for His intervention in key areas of our lives where we need His direction.

I love the physical cleansing of the body that takes place as well...toxins out and vitamins in....the coupling of the physical and spiritual brings full health and wholeness.

More than anything, we pray may His heart be our heart in this new year, and may we hear His voice and live accordingly!

1 comment:

Cheryl Nevins said...

Warm some water with a bit of lemon or lime!