Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Meditations from Thomas Merton

I picked up a book last evening which I've had for a while but have not read..."Dialogues with Silence" by Thomas Merton. While it is not to be read in one sitting, being more of a devotional, I devoured it and turned down corners of pages which hit my heart deeply. So here is one of those:

"Tribulation detaches us from the things of nothingness in which we spend ourselves and die. Therefore, tribulation gives us life and we love it, not out of love for death, but out of love for life.
Let me then withdraw all my love from scattered, vain things----the desire to be read and praised as a writer, to be a successful teacher praised by my students, or to live at ease in some beautiful place----and let me place everything in Thee, where it will take root and live, instead of being spent in barrenness."

No comments: