Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Cross-cultural Medicine

I've had an interesting couple of days, especially today. I awakened Monday with cramping in my lower abdomen and decided to stay home and rest. When I woke up at noon, I was still not on the up and up, and decided to pay a visit to my family doctor...who examined me and promptly sent me to another clinic where I could see a surgeon there, have an ultra-sound and figure out if I had a kidney stone or appendicitis! Well, when I met the cute doctor, I started speaking in Hungarian, and about 1 minute later, he said in near perfect English, "where are you from?" I laughed and asked him why he didn't tell me he speaks English??

Anyway, I have 3 kidney stones...one is big enough to need "blasting" apart. So today I meet cute doctor at another hospital, and he ushers me past 985 people waiting to see the urologist, and I go in after waiting maybe 10 min....it's a catch-22 being a foreigner....you get nasty looks from those you "cut in line" in front of, but you get in to see the doctor a whole lot faster. And I've found you cannot really argue and say, "No, I want to wait here with the other 985 people who were here before me," because that will insult the doctor who is trying to take good care of you...who, has an ulterior motive...he wants English lessons! Amazing how one can get "roped" into things in a different culture.

So, it turns out the urologist speaks English as well! Hallelujah! The only time he "broke out" of his completely serious mode was when I happened to mention that my dad is a urologist...it was at that point that he raised his eyebrows and probably realized he needs to take very good care of me. So, my question is, what do I need to do for him, because here in Hungary, there is a "special payment system" in this socialized medical system. I'm thinking a nice bottle of wine and some chocolate will be in order when I go in on Thursday to have my stone BLASTED...and tell him the wine is from my father, who says "Thank you!"

Ah, but the adventure continues...I have to go down to x-ray....which doesn't take too long....but waiting for the x-ray in a hallway with 20 other people and only 3 seats, for 1 1/2 hours, is yet another adventure...."do I really live here?" Once I garnered my x-ray, I returned to see only 743 people waiting to see the urologist, and again, after two people before me, I was called in...this time I heard some mumurs from people....I think they had been there 2 hours earlier and were STILL waiting to get in for the first visit. Hmmm.

So, Thursday is blasting the kidney stone day!!! I'm so excited, really! As the doctors pointed out, it sure beats trying to pass a 6mm stone, which would be worse than giving birth to a child! They are indeed looking out for my best interest....I left the doctor's room, eyes to the floor and mumbled a sheepish "goodbye" in Hungarian to those in the waiting area, wanting ever so much to have been lowered down from the window in the doctor's room so I wouldn't have to face the stares of those patient people, who wait in these kinds of lines for medical care every day. Ah, the adventures continue!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Arden Hope the Lord give you Strength to serve Him for His Glory!

...I hope too you ok!...




...Idonkent az Ur olyan megprobaltatasokat hoz elenk, mint a veseko...hus szivet kapjunk, amit ki kell venni az eletunkbol, a koszivet, o ha megengedjuk megmut bennunket, es valtozast hoz, igen ez fajdalmas, de ha eszre vesszuk hany embert hoz elenk rom 8:28 mint a hetszaz varakozo ember az orvosnal, egy Isteni evangelizacio lehetoseg, es mint a domino effect a kozben a szituacioban a kepbe belepett emberek, orvosok, apolok, es elso sorban mi magunk!!!... eszre vegyuk hogy reagalunk az igazi elet szituacioknal, akkor lehetoseget kapunk ha meglatjuk, az elmulasztott pillanatokat es felkeszulve egy ujabb lehetoseg jon az Urral!!!! mert "Misszionarussa" (a kicsit tul csepelt szo, nemesi ertelmet elveszitve sokszor sajnos!!) csak ugy valhat valaki egy idegen orszagban vendeg munkasbol, ha valoban az Ur szive szerint latja meg az ott elo embereket, mint "sorstarsakat" akikkel egyutt luktet a szive lelke!!!!

Szeretettel, es remelem soraim egeszsegben talalnak Arden!




...a kismamakrol en reszemrol torolnem az egy nagyon mely jelzo hogy az "otthonban" nottek fel, foleg a pici gyerekeik miatt, az nem illo!!! ezt sokkal nagyobb Szeretettel kellene a sorokbol torolni egyszer es mindenkorra, hogy lehetoseguk legyen megszabadulni a reges reg ota a szituaciojuk miatt tortent megbelyegzes, az ma mar nincs!! igazi szabadulas legyen neked is foleg Arden, hogy meg lasd! Mert te sem szeretned a sajat csaladod Amerikabol ilyen szemszogbol megvilagitani az esetleges regi gyengesegeikkel, te is az erossegeiket mutattad be...tegyel ugy massal amit magaddal szeretnel!!! ...Talan ugy kellene a blogodban, es altalaban ilyen kapcsolatokrol mert intim:

"...kedves regi ismerosok az Urral ..."




I was thinking if God would call me to my Beloved Home Country and my little Paris to Szeged again, to spread the real good news, than....

...Evangelisation in the Stadium, than they call for emergency for fire the ambulance, for all the people, and would be approx 800 or more thousand people together, than would be so imbarrassing if the American "missionary" would take off first, not the people...imbarrassing..isn't?

...think Arden think...




(many good english teacher for the living...foreign working, far far away from Christ heart....)



Mother Theresa:

"...It hurt Jesus to love us. We have been created in His image for greater things, to love and to be loved. We just "put on Christ" as Scripture tells us. And so, we have been created to love as He loves us. Jesus makes Himself the hungry one, the naked one, the homeless one, the unwanted one, and He says, "You did it unto Me." On the last day He will say to those on His right, "whatever you did to the least of these, you did to Me, and He will also say to those on His left, whatever you neglected to do for the least of these, you neglected to do it for Me..."

Hope Arden you will read Mother Theresa's life REAL " Missionary " Christ like character, also maybe a Bible gift for the doctor would be proper to thank him.....not the wine..hmhm....what you think?



...think Arden think...





...I hope the nice American "Missionaries" will not have Hungarian "...Indian reservations later..."




Final notes from real player:

I hope you ok Arden!!!
the Lord comfort you with His Love blanket and with His Mercy!

I am very proud of you Arden, because, you was very brave@kidneystory




....sorry if some of my earlier comments with the Holy Spirit above was not in the right time maybe because of your kidney pain, and i trully feel with you, but who you Love tell what you think 4real players rules!! & further the truth can not be hidden...!!


Love in Christ Agi U.S.A.