Sunday, December 05, 2004

God's ways are higher than ours!

ceo for the kids

Over the course of the past 3 days, I have received an important lesson in the Truth that God's ways are much, much higher than ours. Thursday I had a "sad" conversation with a young lady there who has become a dear friend. She is just about the only kid in the home who is a Christian. She told me that she will no longer be coming to church, and she is giving up reading the Bible and praying. "In the last 4-5 months, I've read and prayed and gone to church, but things in my life have only gotten worse. God has not answered any of my prayers and my life, every part of it, is falling apart." All I could do was sit and listen.....partially because my Hungarian is still at such a level that I cannot carry on deep theological conversations with people in Hungarian. Thursday was a wake-up call for me. Here is this young lady, who was so hungry to know God and grow, and yet I did not prioritize time with her, I did not learn Hungarian well enough to help her work through her issues/doubts, etc. My heart was breaking Thursday night.
Then today, I received a text message on my mobile phone that a boy named Laci from the children's home would meet me in front of the Burger King to go to church!!! I was so happy to see him there.....I secretly wondered what people would think of this kid with two ears full of earrings and a piercing in his lower lip. He really enjoyed church and is excited to come again! He's also excited about the free English lessons the church is offering on Monday evenings! He also came to a worship service/concert tonight at another church and seemed to enjoy it. He wants to turn his life around and realizes that now is the time!
In my discouragement over my friend M. walking away from the Lord, God chose to show me that HE is the one who is doing the work, NOT ME! HE is the one who is in control! HE is the one who loves these kids at the children's home even more than I could ever imagine! HE is the one who will hold each one in His hand! I'm humbled and encouraged to realize once again that His ways are indeed higher than mine, and both M. and Laci are in the Lord's hands, and I need not worry, but rather be faithful to loving Jesus and loving these kids as the Lord shows me!

No comments: