Friday, December 13, 2013

My adult ESL students

This past summer, I applied and was hired to be an ESL teacher for adults at Johnson County Community College.  This has been one of the best teaching experiences of my life so far because I have highly motivated, respectful students who are working full-time jobs and then spending 6 hours a week in the evening studying English.  

My group of 18 students is a level 1 class, which means we started with the alphabet and numbers.  I am proud to report that 16 of 18 received "gains" on their state level exams.


On Monday of this week, we had an end of the semester party where everyone brought food.  Only a handful of my students showed up, but we had a great time eating, laughing and speaking a little bit of English.  Here are a few pictures of my class!
Yolanda and Patricia - both from Mexico

Armando from Guatemala - He wants to be an English teacher back in his home country!

Maria, Armando, Jessika, her daughter, who came to the party, Jose, Yolanda and Patricia

Irene and Michael - from Ukraine

Arden, Jose, Aphinya, Patricia, Yolanda, Meseret, Maria, Jessika, Irene, Maria, Armando and Michael

No comments: