Monday, June 25, 2012

To take offense or not to take offense; that is the question.

Over a month ago now, I began posting a series of blog posts connected to my journey away from cessationist theology and into, what I believe, a more fully biblical perspective on the gifts of the Holy Spirit.   

After posting three blog entries, I received a phone call from someone who was offended by one of my posts.  The interesting part in all of this is that someone ELSE had actually read the blog, jumped to a false conclusion, took up an offense, called another person and told them to read the blog, and that person drew his/her own conclusion, took up an offense even though the blog entry had nothing to do with them, and subsequently called me.  This person didn't call to get clarification but to sever ties.

In order to maintain peace according to the Bible...do everything within your power to maintain the bond of peace....I deleted all three blog entries having to do with my spiritual journey.  A friend of mine in response said, "Why did you do that?  Your heart was right and what you wrote had nothing to do with anyone in particular or even collectively?  You should be able to write what the Lord is teaching you."  I agreed with this friend, but I sensed that Holy Spirit was encouraging me to take the low road and honor the Lord in this way.  In the process, I had to come before Jesus and see if I was offended by what had happened because quite easily a seed of offense leads to more offense if one does not pluck the seed for that nasty weed out quickly.  I was not offended, but just saddened by the unfolding of the entire scenario.  The Lord reminded me, however, of His Truth:

"Woe to the world because of offenses!  For offenses must come, but woe to that man by whom the offense comes!" (Matt. 18:7) 

and again,

"Then He said to the disciples, 'It is impossible that no offenses should come, but woe to him through whom they do come!'"  (Luke 17:1)

These are powerful words because in both cases, Jesus declares WOE to those through whom offenses come.  I don't want to be one who causes offense; thus, I deleted the posts because I was being misunderstood and someone else took offense and then through them, others took up offenses.  In the end, it's the responsibility of the people reading not to take up an offense over something that has nothing to do with them, but in the light of the love of God, it is my responsibility to do everything within my power not to put a stumbling block in the way of my brothers and sisters.  

Some may ask, "So why even address this?  Let it drop."  If the issue only involved one person, I would do so, but sadly, it involves a whole group of people, and out of love and honor for them, I sensed the need to clarify, even though not asked, that my blog entry had nothing to do with any individuals or groups of people...it was simply a reflection on my personal journey with the Lord.  I apologize for any misunderstandings which may have unfolded as a result of me sharing my heart.  I bless all those involved and hope that the Lord brings His bride into unity in the Spirit for the days ahead when we will need each other like never before.

 

No comments: