Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Bait of Satan - by John Bevere

I'm still reading the FABULOUS book by John Bevere called The Bait of Satan.  This is my second reading and I'm being challenged again, and encouraged at the same time.

In a nutshell, the bait is offense.  From the garden, where the serpent planted the seed of offense in both Adam and Eve's hearts...offense toward God, who appeared to be 'holding out' on them...much of what we deal with in life, including sin (see post below this one) is based in offense.  I will not go into book detail here; you will have to read it yourself.

I'm saddened by people who take up offenses.  I've been saddened when I myself have taken up offenses.  Yet even more frightening to me is when people are looking for offense.  Someone will read something or hear something and look for any hint of some sort of connection to something so that they can pick up an offense.  Sad, sad, sad.

Yesterday, I had a conversation with a precious friend about this topic, and he said, "It's just sad because where is the ability to express an opinion or even express the truth?"

I"m laughing because I have to ask myself this:  "Am I offended when someone takes up an offense over something I say or write that was not intended to offend?"

Finally, I'm reminded of one who took up NO offenses, but many CHOSE to take up offenses in response to things He spoke:  Jesus.  Everything He said was life-giving, even when He brought 'correction'.   Oh that I could speak the truth in love and not be moved if people are offended by what I say.  I do know this, I need to grow in the area of speaking in love.  The deepest desire of my heart is to bring LIFE, to speak the life and hope freedom that can only be found in the LIFE-GIVER Himself:  Jesus!

No comments: