Monday, April 10, 2006

"I'm working to eat."

Yesterday, I called my "son" Laci to see how he "survived" his first week living in his flat. He's doing well, still has to get his room "in order" and to date, has not cooked himself a warm meal. Laci is going to school full-time and working part-time at a flour factory. He told me that he had the worst day at work, spending 10 hours without a break standing next to an assembly line pulling the "bad biscuits" off the conveyor belt. In his words, "It's so difficult knowing that I'm working just so I can eat. But a positive thing is that I don't have to buy bread because I get all the left-overs from here that I want, so I can save some money."

Laci didn't tell me, but I heard from another friend that he recently failed all his mid-term exams at college. I don't know if it was the stress of moving out of the children's home or what that kept him from being able to study sufficiently, but, this 22 year old is having a rough go of it on his own.

YET, he's going to school and working...and he knows the value of a job...and of education...sort of...thank the Lord for his perseverance in this time of "survival".

No comments: