Saturday, December 10, 2005

Parties, presents and passion for life!

Last night we celebrated the 16th annual Deak High School English Department Christmas party at my house! Honestly, I put very little effort into this years' party; lots of candles decorated the room, but only one string of lights still works, and my pitiful little 15 year old Christmas tree graced the gift table nicely. I also didn't go around making sure so and so was coming....I put the invitation up on the staff-room board, said a couple of reminders, made no phone calls to anyone who may not have heard about it due to being on maternity leave or having been a former English teacher at our school (yes, they come too!!!), and so when people began arriving, I was happy. Then they kept coming....then faces from the past arrived....and more arrived....til we had over 20 people at the largest, and I believe, best Christmas party ever!!! Of course there was more food than all of us could eat, plenty to drink, lots of laughter, and great conversations. We played a new game this year which everyone loved and they laughed a LOT! Some people left after a couple of hours, and others hung out til 11 p.m. I was, quite honestly, not really excited about this party this year.....but as I baked the pumpkin pie, made the chariot chicken, had Handel's Messiah playing in the background, my excitement grew. Then as people arrived, and started getting caught up with each other and laughing and exchanging stories, I realized that it's all worth it. Everyone brought one gift, but I believe everyone left with at least one tangible gift, and many intangible ones. As we prepare ourselves for the celebration of the greatest Gift of all, the coming of our Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ, may the intangible gifts give you a renewed passion for life! www.ceokids.org

No comments: