Thursday, October 13, 2005

Making a difference

One of my "sons" from the children's home here was accepted to the teacher's training college here in town and is studying English and Computer studies. His acceptance is a miracle in itself. He failed the 10th grade, was in deep depression, and with lots of love and encouragement, has now emerged to the point of being excited about waking up in the morning to go to school! Today, he came over early this morning to have me look over a speech he must give on the Tudors in his English History class. As I started reading his speech, I got a bit discouraged because it seemed to be copied directly from the sources. I decided to "test" him....I started asking him the meanings of the most difficult words in the text. Repeatedly, he was able to explain to me, in English no less, the meanings of these words. After a short time it dawned on me that this kid has done a TON of work, looking up and learning all these words!!! He was so proud, and rightly so. It's hard to believe this is the same kid who a couple of years ago had no goals, no interests in life, and now, refuses to speak Hungarian with me because he wants to practice his English all the time! God is very, very good....He is working mightily, and it is fun to be making a difference in a young man's life! www.ceokids.org

No comments: